Friday, October 1, 2010

Bjørn Nørgaard, peaceful coots.

On the last day in September I went to the National Art Museum in Copenhagen to see the exhibit, Re-modeling the World, with works created by Bjørn Nørgaard. The artist who also designed the historical tapestries for the Queen of Denmark. It was a weird, wonderful and strange experience. Some of what he has done makes me want to explore and other pieces make me wrinkle my brow and wonder ....... What is going on in this man's head. In the end I purchased a very large, heavy and beautiful catalogue about the exhibit and will be able to take my time to learn and understand a little bit better where some of his ideas come from.


After walking through the exhibit at a very leisurely pace I found the cafe and sat down in a very tall window seat, enjoyed a bottle of Ramlöse water with lemon and waited for my bowl of leek and potato soup with bacon bits.
My eyes were meandering over the landscape outside.
A coot couple ( a cute coot couple) was swimming along together and apart, diving or pushing their way in amongst the reeds which are dense along the little pond and a green legged moor-hen was enjoying life and finding treasures along the muddy edge of the water.
The water lilies had not yet withered away completely a few green leaves still floating amidst the brown stalks of the ones which had capitulated to the colder days and nights of the season.


The nettles along the path way where runners keep whizzing by (on their lunch break?) had brown spots on the leaves and the intense green they usually display in the spring and summer no longer shone as radiantly.
This is not a sad contemplation of the loss of warmer days, instead it is an expression of delight and thankfulness that I had been in a position to go and purchase myself the most gorgeous red wool sweater earlier on this day. Wearing it as I was writing this kept me warm, cozy and comfortable. I love fall weather.


But....to get back to the exploratory input of the day. I am quite infatuated by BN's installation Mickey's Opera, wondering what came first, Mickey's family or the Genetically Modified Paradise fountain which I enjoyed walking past earlier this summer in a different part of Copenhagen. I will find out one of these days.


What I came away with this day is a wish to better myself at layered story telling. I have to say that it seems to be a very strong side of Bjørn Nørgaard's. He creates pieces which have layers upon layers of messages to take note of if one chooses. It is ...... Worth exploring further and I will as this adventure continues.
Check out his website www.bjoernnoergaard.dk as far as I can see it does not come in English but exploring any of the tabs will lead you to interesting photos of his art all of which does speak its own strong visual language.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment