Monday, February 20, 2012

Lambing Season AGAIN!



Meet Dotty - she is turning 12 this spring, and as far as I can see there is a bun or two in the oven again this year. Last year Dotty was lamb-less and  she lead a life of leisure, grazing, ruminating (ha), basking in back scratches, pieces of apples and the overall love which humans bestow upon her because ... she is cute as a button and always ever so friendly - just don't forget that apple!


Next in line, a yet unnamed ewe lamb from last year. She is one of two daughters of Dotty-2 (right behind her) which we kept last year - originally for the freezer, but we shall see.
And then with the white streak down her face is Dotty-3, also daughter of Dotty, so sibling to Dotty-2. Do I have you completely confused now? Somehow it works for me this way at least for now - then I know which ewe-line they belong to.



And may I present, a Freezer Frazer - one of the two which Harriett-2 birthed last Sunday. Nothing at breakfast, except no wild hunger and then, bang, before lunch ..... there they were, two strong wet, sticky and very hungry boys. And they are doing well these days. Up and about, jumping, running investigating.




So Dotty came back in, and mr. FF needs to check her out, just to see if there is any milk available, could she be his mom or .......



oh, sorry, madam, my mistake, here is my mom and she brought my brother, Freezer Frodo, the fact is we don't name the lambs, when we know they won't stay with us for more than the summer.  But.... they are so beautiful, lively, lovely, fun and clever!



And if there is an opportunity for a visit at the milk bar, I can assure you that that opportunity is never, ever, missed. The more milk the merrier!


And this morning it was Dotty-3 who was a bit off, not wanting breakfast, going over to look at the always open birthing pen - except of course when someone is in there. I went to check on the sheep just before 7am and she was not so interested in neither the grain nor the hay - and I wrinkled my brow, slowly bent to sniff her breath (if a ewe has pregnancy toxemia it is easy to recognize the smell on her breath) but she was fine.
And so I went back to the house, had my morning tea, and about 1 hour later when my husband went to feed his horse he checked and there was one lamb that he could see, and when I got down there, there were two. A very large black ewelamb and a very small and spindly white ewelamb. When I went to check on them a little while ago, I discovered that the little one was actually warming up. Earlier today she seemed so cold so I clipped the sleeve off a sweater and put it on her, and this time when I touched her, her nose was warm and she seemed much better.  Dotty-3 is a magnificent mother, talking, humming, I think sheep language is beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment