Thursday, October 18, 2012

Woven challenges

I don't weave everyday, not physically anyways. Often though a weaving thought flitters by, be it an idea to better handle the shed stick so it doesn't so often end up on the floor or how to experiment with a pattern etc.


The above photo is how much I have 'produced' while here, the bottom piece with the 'scissors' weaving into each other is often occupying my brain - I am hoping to be able to finish it by Monday, when my next class is taking place.


It is a long and (to me) complicated pattern - by the end of the red and white ribbon I had decided that it would be better for me to start working out the patterns on paper instead of trying to figure it out intuitively. Well, maybe I thought about it even earlier on - but definitely when I fell in love with this scissor pattern, well, then there was no way back. My super patient teacher just knows the pattern, she knows all the patterns, they are right in there in a treasure box in her beautiful brain. I knew it would take me ages to just figure it out staring at the warp and flipping warp threads up and down -even if I did get to sit and watch Apolonia weave the first scissor and start the second one .... and so I sat down with two ball pens, a blue and a yellow, and started the process - now I can put my ruler under the next upcoming line and if I go slow enough well, then I don't have to do one step ahead and two backwards like at my class on Tuesday, it really was quite ridiculous.


Although I am proud as a peacock about my accomplishments within the Andean belt/ribbon weaving world the weavers who sold me these in Chinchero have made me burn my candle a little less bright, not that they put my weaving down, they didn't even see it. I just felt rather humbled when they opened up their bundles and the treasures of both larger and smaller pieces they had brought to show me at the dye workshop in Chinchero rolled out. What I have managed to learn until now is lovely and a first minute step on the way - and really, I am still working on the technique of not loosing the shed stick all the time. It is a lovely challenge and adventure.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Pia, these are so beautiful! I love the colours and intricacy of the patterns. They remind of a beautiful burgundy woven belt that Jali had. I have no idea where she got it from but it looks like one of these patterns, maybe it was Andean? Sending love and well-wishes on your adventures. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful sites (and sights) you are experiencing! It is a pure pleasure to follow your journey. Way to go! I love, love, love those earth pigments. Wishing you only more of the same sort of breathtaking experiences.
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete